Something about the fall makes me want to indulge in a conflicting mix of both comforting and creepy beverages. I always look forward to coming up with eerie punches and cocktails to serve around Halloween time, but the cold autumn chill also leaves me craving something warm and full-bodied. I decided to include two recipes I’d come up with to satisfy these combative desires, one for a ghoulishly dark cocktail and one for a spiced and soothing latte.
|The presentation factor of this ice bath almost makes up for all the food we lost when our refrigerator broke. So many homemade half-eaten jams…|
I used black cherry juice, 7-Up, vodka, and McCormick black food coloring to make the Black Magic Cocktail, in which the vodka-flavor was dangerously undetectable. Instead there was the sweet and slightly tart zing of black cherries and the wonderful carbonation and citrus hint that 7-Up provides. And the black food coloring helped push the already dark cherry juice over the edge to creepsville. I served them in individual 8 ounce mason jars placed in an ice bath in one of my stainless steel pots because my refrigerator was broken and I had no other way to chill them, but it actually ended up looking kinda spooky and fun. Hurray!
For the Butternut Chai Latte I used Bhakti Chai (love this brand because it is fair trade, creamy, and just spicy enough for my palette) butternut squash puree, and some frothed up whole milk with a dash of spices. I used this tutorial from The Kitchn to get the milk to froth using only a mason jar and a microwave. Very useful indeed!
Also, just a reminder that there is only one day left to enter McCormick’s Halloween giveaway! To enter leave a comment on my Pumpkin Dark Chocolate Chip Cookies post about your favorite kind of cookies. The winner will be announced on Halloween!
Black Magic Cocktails
- 4 and 1/2 Cups Black Cherry Juice
- 1 and 1/2 Cups Vodka can put more or less depending on how strong you want it to be
- 2 Cups 7-Up
- 7 Drops McCormick Black Food Coloring
- 8 8 Ounce Mason Jars (optional)
- Mix all the ingredients together until combined. To serve, distribute the cocktail evenly throughout the mason jars and place the mason jars in a large steel pot filled with ice (optional). Serve chilled.
Butternut Chai Latte
- 2/3 Cup Bhakti Chai hot
- 1/3 Cup Whole Milk
- 1 Tablespoons Butternut Squash Puree
- 1/4 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 Teaspoon Cinnamon
- Pinch of Nutmeg
- Whisk the butternut squash puree and vanilla extract into the chai. Pour into a mug and set aside.
- Pour the milk into a mason jar, tighten the lid, and shake vigorously for 1 minute. Remove the lid, place the glass jar in the microwave, and heat for 30 seconds. Pour the milk into the mug, using a spoon to hold back the foam. Once the milk is emptied into the mug, spoon the froth onto the top and sprinkle the cinnamon and nutmeg over the top. Serve immediately.