I have another awesome event coming up that I’m really excited to share with you guys. I’m hosting a pop-up summer dinner series here in Portland with friends Christiann and Suzanne.The first dinner takes place on Saturday July 18th; we’ll be making an insane amount of delicious pacific northwest summer fare, and there’s going to be lots of delicious wine, refreshing cocktails, and of course, lots and lots of cheese. I’m particularly excited for this because I really, really, love throwing dinner parties, especially in the summer when everyone can sit outside and enjoy the lush green garden. There’s just something about people sharing good food and drink right under the stars and laughing until the sun goes down that makes me more content than anything else in the world. I’d love to have you join us! You can purchase tickets and read more about it below, and if you have any questions don’t hesitate to contact me.
To contrast with the richness of the lamb, we made an incredible pesto with a mix of things laying around my cupboards. Pistachios, fresh mint, fresh basil, and fennel fronds and stalks, this is an AMAZING pesto and tastes insanely refreshing in the summer. There’s something about the mint and basil and fennel that creates the most intoxicatingly herbal flavor, and when you puree sweet, fatty pistachios into it, it’s kindaaaaaaa the tastiest thing ever. It’s also a great way to use extra fennel stalks that you have leftover from making caramelized fennel bulbs, which I also highly recommend trying. So if you’re thinking of having a little gathering of your own this summer, you don’t have to look any further for recipe inspiration. Seriously, please make this. Your stomach and friends will thank you.
Also, any photos of myself in this post were taken by the kind Christiann. Thank you, friend!! And all serve ware here is from Felt+ Fat, whose ceramics always make me swoon.
CABERNET RACK OF LAMB WITH A MINT, PISTACHIO, & FENNEL PESTO
Cabernet + Tarragon Marinade
- 1 1/2 lbs rack of lamb
- 1/3 cup cabernet sauvignon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh tarragon
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
Rosemary Spice Rub
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 lb fresh tomatoes on the vine
- 2 heads garlic
- 4 shallots
Mint, Pistachio + Fennel Pesto
- 3 cups coarsely chopped fennel stems and fronds
- 1/2 cup shelled raw pistachios
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mint
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil
- For the marinade, prick the rack of lamb 6 times with a sharp knife, making 1/2-inch deep incisions. Mix together all the marinade ingredients in a large bowl and then empty into a large plastic bag. Add the rack of lamb and press out as much as as possible from the bag before sealing and refrigerating for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 475 degrees Fahrenheit. Mix together the salt, rosemary, garlic powder, and pepper in a small bowl, then coat the rack of lamb in the mixture. Place it on a baking sheet along with the tomatoes, garlic, and shallots. Roast in the oven until desired doneness is reached, about for 10 minutes for rare, 15 minutes for medium rare.
- To prepare the pesto, blend the fennel, pistachios, mint, basil, salt, and red pepper flakes together in a blender or food processor until smooth. While the blender is on, slowly add the olive oil in a thin and steady stream through the hole in the cap. Allow the mixture to continue to blend for 10 more seconds or until thick and smooth. Serve alongside the roasted lamb and tomatoes.