Last weekend I had an itch for something chocolatey, and after hearing Jeremy mention that brownies were one of his favorite desserts, I decided to whip some up. They were easy to make, and although this recipe does call for some chocolate and butter to be melted down in a double-boiler, you can make your own makeshift double boiler by filling a large-ish pot about 1/3 full of water and nestling a slightly smaller pot within it to put the chocolate and butter in. I especially liked how these turned out because of the hint of amaretto, which is one of my absolute favorite flavors when used in combination with chocolate. They were nice and soft inside too, with the milk chocolate morsels all melty and smooth, but not gooey to the point where you can’t eat them with your hands without them breaking apart everywhere. ‘Twas the ideal brownie consistency.
I also had some very good news last week which was definitely worth celebrating with some brownies. Me and Jeremy got our wedding location secured, we’ll be wed at Mount Hood Organic Farms on September 1st, 2013! I am so excited, and very relieved. Having the location contract signed and secured is light a weight being lifted from my shoulders. I feel like now that I know when and where it will be I can start getting everything else arranged with a nice sense of security. So excited about it! We’ll definitely have a wedding cake, but these brownies might be fun to have on the dessert table too…
Chocolate Meltaway Brownies
- 2 Eggs
- 2 Ounces Semi-Sweet Baker's Chocolate
- 1 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Plus 1 Tablespoon Flour
- 1/2 Cup Cocoa Powder
- 1/2 Cup Butter
- 1/2 Cup Walnuts
- 1/3 Cup Milk Chocolate Chips
- 3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 Tablespoon Amaretto Liqueur
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Melt together the butter and baker's chocolate in a double boiler. (If you don't have a double boiler, nest a small pot with the chocolate and butter in it over a slightly larger pot with boiling water in it).
- Stir until completely combined, then remove from heat and allow the mixture to cool down until it is warm, not hot. Stir in the brown sugar, olive oil, cocoa powder, amaretto liqueur, and vanilla extract. Then beat in the two eggs until well blended.
- Stir in the flour and 1/4 teaspoon of the salt until completely mixed into the dough. Add the walnuts and most of the chocolate chips and stir again until evenly dispersed.
- Pour the mixture into a well-greased 8x8 inch baking pan. Sprinkle the small amount of remaining chocolate chips over the brownies for decoration, as well as the remaining 1/4 teaspoon of salt. Place in the oven and bake for 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 15 minutes before serving.