I don’t know if I’ve mentioned this, but I am kind of obsessed with cupcakes. I think I just really like the idea of a mobile form of cake that I can walk around with and enjoy on the go, without having to sit down at a table with a plate and fork. And the fact that they are ultra adorable is also a contributing factor. I decided to make cornbread cupcakes because I have a friend from the south who had mentioned that the secret to amazing cornbread is using creamed corn, so I decided to try it out here with this recipe. After having made a nice little batch of them, I came to the conclusion that it is 100% true. The little sweet pieces of corn in the cupcakes are fantastic, and the honey frosting goes perfectly with the corn, especially since honey and butter and the two best toppings for cornbread in general.
Cornbread Cupcakes with Honey Frosting
- 1 14.75 Ounce Can Creamed Corn
- 1 and 1/4 Cups Corn Meal
- 3/4 Cup Sour Cream
- 1/2 Cup Flour
- 1/3 Cup Sugar
- 1/4 Cup Whipping Cream liquid, not the ready made kind
- 4 Tablespoons Butter
- 2 and 1/2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 and 1/2 Cups Powdered Sugar
- 1 Cup Butter softened
- 1/2 Cup Honey
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Mix together all of the dry ingredients in a medium sized bowl and set it aside. Then mix all of the wet ingredients together in a large bowl until they are thoroughly combined. Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, and mix until just blended.
- Line a cupcake pan with cupcake liners and then pour the cornbread mixture into the liners until they are each about 2/3rds full. Do not fill them higher than this, otherwise when they rise they will not stay firm and grow taller, but instead the batter will just spill over the sides and make a mess. You can also use stand-alone cupcake liners like I did and just place them on a regular baking sheet. Place the pan in the oven and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden brown.
- While the cupcakes are baking prepare the frosting. Mix together the butter and honey until completely combined. Add the powdered sugar and blend until smooth. Set aside.
- When the cupcakes are done, remove them from the oven and allow them to cool for at least 30 minutes before frosting. To frost them, simply spread about 1 tablespoon of the frosting over each cupcake. Enjoy!