S’mores are a fantastically simple dessert that deserve to be consumed outside of a campfire setting. They’re also very versatile in so far as the astounding amount of add-ins you can toss on them. I decided to add some homemade dulce de leche to the mix, (I’ve been on a dulce de leche kick as of late due to the awesome Argentinean bakery down the street from my apartment), and it was probably the best combo ever. Seriously, if you are reading this, you need to make these. They are so good!!! I hope you give these a try, they are most definitely worth it!
Dulce De Leche Smores
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 3 hours 20 minutes
Cooling Time 30 minutes
Total Time 3 hours 30 minutes
- 3 Hershey's With Almonds Bars
- 9 Graham Crackers
- 3 Cups Miniature Marshmallows
- 1 14 Oz Can Sweetened Condensed Milk
- Fill a small pot halfway full of water and bring it to a boil. Meanwhile, remove the label from the condensed milk can and poke several holes in the top of the can so that the steam can escape. Place the can in the pot of water, making sure the water level rests about 1/2 to 2/3 up the side of the can. Lower the heat and bring to a simmer. Boil the can in the water for about 3 hours, making sure to replenish the water when it boils away and swirl the can around (wearing an oven mit), a bit to help mix up the condensed milk. Be careful not to bring the water to a rolling boil, as this may burn the dulce de leche inside of the can, but to always keep it at a low constant simmer.
- Once the 3 hours have passed, remove the can from the pot and set it aside to cool for about 30 minutes. Remove the top of the can with a can opener and pour the dulce de leche into a bowl. There may be burnt bits at the very bottom of the can, but unless they are black and hard they are fine and can be left in the dulce de leche mixture. Blend the dulce de leche with a hand mixer or fork until smooth in consistency. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Break each of the graham crackers in half and place each piece on a baking sheet. Next break each of the Hershey bars into three pieces, and place each piece onto a graham cracker. At this point half of the graham crackers should have chocolate on them. Next, place about 1/3 cup of miniature marshmallows on each of the empty graham crackers. Now half of the graham crackers should have chocolate on them and half should have marshmallows. Place the baking sheet in the oven and bake for 5-10 minutes, until the marshmallows just begin to have a tint of pale gold at the tips. Don't leave it in too long otherwise the marshmallows will get crunchy.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven and quickly spoon one tablespoon of the dulce de leche onto each of the marshmallow sides. Now flip the chocolate sides over on top of the marshmallow & dulce de leche sides to make a s'more. Plate and serve immediately.