I must admit that, although I do try to eat healthy on a regular basis, most of the recipes I post here are fairly fattening, and this recipe is by far the most fattening of them all. But I will tell you one thing, it’s completely worth it! This is THE best Mac and Cheese that I’ve ever had, all the wonderful cheeses meld together into creamy perfection and the smoked gouda crust really tops it off. This is a great meal for those craving something rich, warm and comforting. I hope you all love it as much as I did!
Fancy Pants Macaroni and Cheese
- 16 Ounces Fusilli Spiral Pasta
- 1 Cup Shredded Gruyere Cheese
- 1 Cup Shredded White Cheddar Cheese
- 1 Cup Shredded Emmentaler Cheese
- 1 and 1/2 Cup Shredded Smoked Gouda Cheese
- 1/2 Cup Butter
- 1/2 Cup Milk
- 1/2 Cup Ricotta Cheese
- 1/3 Cup Sour Cream
- 1/2 Teaspoon Nutmeg
- 3 Strips of Bacon pan fried until crispy and then diced into centimeter-sized squares
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Prepare the pasta according to the directions on the package. Strain and set aside. In a medium sized saucepan, melt the butter over low heat. Add the milk, nutmeg and ricotta cheese and continue to heat for 5-10 minutes or until the mixture is hot but not boiling. Remove the pan from heat and stir in the sour cream, gruyere, cheddar, emmentaler, 1 cup of the smoked gouda and the bacon squares. Set aside.
- Pour half of the pasta into a large casserole pan and pour half of the cheese mixture into the casserole pan. Mix them until well blended. Now add the rest of the pasta and the rest of the cheese mixture and blend again until the pasta is completely and evenly coated in the cheese mixture. Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup of smoked gouda onto the top of the macaroni and cheese and bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes. Then turn the heat up to broil and cook for another 5 minutes or until the top is lightly browned. Serve immediately with a cold glass of milk.