During the winter I feel like I turn into a tiny bear that wants to do nothing but eat warm and comforting food and lay in bed whenever it’s dark…which turns out to be surprising amount of the day. As we all know, this actually isn’t very good for people. So, to try and swing myself out of the exhaustion that comes at sundown, I decided to try to eat a little differently for a few days. I basically ate like it was summer, and by that I mean lots of salads, fresh fruits and vegetables, and grilled or roasted meats. Heavy cold-weather dishes definitely warm you up from the inside out, but sometimes they can make you feel a bit groggy, especially after you’ve been eating them non-stop for 4 months, like I have. So, with a Clean Slate cookbook in tow, I dove right in.
All the recipes in the cookbook involve lots of minimally processed foods and fresh ingredients, and they sound really, realllly good which made it a whole lot easier to cook from. The swiss chard salad with a fried egg became my morning staple, and the seasoned roasted cauliflower became a new and easy favorite snack. I wanted to make my favorite recipe for this post, and kept going back and forth between the recipe shared here and the sautéed mushrooms with toasted flatbread and baked eggs (seriously omg. I love eggs SO MUCH.) Buuuut the combination of salmon and avocado pretty much always wins. It’s like the healthier and equally tasty version of salmon and cream cheese! So, so good.
After eating like this for three days, I honestly felt much more awake in the evening hours than I have for a really long time. Being able to go out at night without constantly yawning has been amazing, but not having to sacrifice delicious food for it has been the best part. But the best best part is that the kind folks over at Martha Stewart Living have offered to giveaway a copy of their Clean Slate cookbook, Martha Stewart Essentials Women’s Mutli-Vitamins, and Hair, Skin & Nails vitamins to one of you! To enter, please use the rafflecopter widget below. The entry period ends 2/23 at 11:59 pm Pacific Standard Time. Best of luck, everyone!!!
Grapefruit, Salmon and Avocado Salad
- 2 skinless wild salmon fillets about 5 ounces each
- coarse salt + fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil plus more for serving
- 2 scallions trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1 Ruby Red grapefruit peeled and sliced
- 1 avocado halved, peeled, pitted, & sliced
- 2 cups trimmed mixed tender greens
- lime wedges for drizzling
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Season the salmon with the salt and paper and place in a baking dish. Drizzle with the olive oil and sprinkle with 1 of the sliced scallions. Roast until partially opaque in the middle, about 10 minutes. Remove it from the oven and allow it to cool slightly, then break the salmon up into large pieces.
- Place the salmon on a serving dish and top with remaining scallion, the grapefruit, avocado, and greens. Drizzle with the olive oil and lime, and top with more salt and pepper. Serve immediately.
- Featured: Martha Stewart Everyday Entertaining Collection buffet plate, dessert plate, and pasta bowl, available exclusively at Macy's.