I’ve been making this hibiscus vanilla latte for a few weeks now, and I am SOOOOO excited to finally share it with you guys!!! It combines several of my favorite things: wonderfully tangy edible hibiscus flowers, vanilla, whole milk, raw honey, and pretty-colored beverages. A few things, though—to be successful with this, you have to follow the instructions in the recipe for the milk to tea ratio, and you have to use whole dairy-based milk or some kind of nut milk. If you try to use a low-fat dairy-based milk, it will curdle because of the acidity of the hibiscus tea. If you stick with the recipe quantities and delicious whole milk, however, you’ll be all set! For the hibiscus tea, I used dried organic hibiscus petals that I then crushed myself with my fingers, and then mixed them with some whole peppercorns to brew the tea with a subtle kick. If you want the tea to be even more peppery, you can crush the peppercorns first, but if you want it to be very mild you can just leave them whole. After you let the tea steep for a few minutes, just add in a little hot milk, a little vanilla extract, and a little raw honey, stir, and voila!! You have a magical unicorn of a hibiscus vanilla latte, unparalleled in both flavor and appearance. Plus it takes 5 minutes to make, which is exactly the amount of time I want to spend making a beverage first thing in the morning. Also! I’m trying something new here, and doing a little link love in a blog post once a month which I’m aptly naming “social corner”. It’s just a fun thing to share stuff I saw around the web that I liked and things I’ve been up to. Hope you like it and my hibiscus vanilla latte!
- Been dying to make these kumquat honeycomb tartines from The Bojon Gourmet. (Basically the most beautiful toast I’ve ever seen.)
- I want to live in this photofrom Our Food Stories.
- There’s only a couple of spaces left for my online workshop, it’s the only online one I’m doing this year so hop on board if you’re able!
- Linda made Mocha Squares and they sound easy and chocolate-y and AMAZING.
- I’m going to the UK in June!!! If you have any suggestions about what to do/see/eat in England, Ireland, and Scotland I’d love to hear them!
- My friend Andrea’s cookbook is out and it is the BEST. She also got pigs on her farm this year and they are adorable and look like this.
- Hosting another Secret Supper this weekend 😀 I’ll be sharing the photos on instagram starting Sunday if you want to peek at them!
- Maggie restocked thenaturally dyed table runners in her shop (I snagged up the Ballet Pink one and Lagoon one recently andluuuurrrrrrrvvvvvv them).
- My friend Jade introduced me to chiweenies.It is a debt that can never be repaid.
Have a great weekend everyone!!!!
Hibiscus Vanilla Latte
- 2 teaspoons crushed dried hibiscus petals
- 1/4 teaspoon pink peppercorns
- 1/2 cup hot but not boiling water
- 2/3 cup hot but not boiling whole milk
- 1 teaspoon raw honey
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
Place the dried hibiscus petals and pink peppercorns in a loose leaf tea strainer. Steep the mixture with the hot water until it turns a bright and deep shade of magenta, about 3 to 5 minutes.
Remove the tea strainer and stir in the milk, raw honey, and vanilla until the honey melts into the latte. Serve immediately.