I’ve been on a bit of a cake kick lately, so much so that I ended up making two cakes in one weekend just so I could eat all the cake. My brain on cake is pretty much exactly like this.
Yep, dangerous times.
Luckily, I realized what a precarious situation I’d put myself in about a slice into each one (especially since I’d like to fit into my wedding dress eventually, which is kinda-sorta snug around the tush.) so I gave the rest of the cakes away, begrudgingly. One of them was a layer cake (rosemary corn cake!!) which took a good amount of time to assemble and left me wanting something that didn’t involve trimming tops and stacking and aligning layers.
So, I went with a good ol’ fashioned sheet cake. Simple, easy, and tasty on its own, but made even more delicious with the incorporation of fresh berries, plum slices, and dried lavender. When topped with this glaze and sprinkled with extra berries, it makes for quite a striking presentation, too; so no one will ever guess how little effort how little effort went into making it. The best of both cake worlds!!!
This cake is so moist and beautiful, and it really takes advantage of the sweetest produce of the summer. I highly recommend putting those ripe plums and berries to use in an epic sheet cake, I promise you won’t be disappointed! And now I’m off to think about all the cakes I want to eat while assembling the programs for my wedding. Is it weird that one of my top three most-excited-about-wedding-things is seeing and eating my wedding cake? Because it’s four tiers, and each tier is a different flavor, which of course means I have to try a piece from each tier, which means I get to have four pieces of cake.
It’s going to be a very good day.
Lavender Plum Berry Sheet Cake with a Lemon Vanilla Glaze
Lavender Plum Berry Sheet Cake
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 1 cup vanilla yogurt full fat
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon lavender fresh or dried
- 2 eggs
- 1 and 1/2 cups fresh berries
- 1/2 of a plum cut into roughly 1-inch cubes
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
Lemon Vanilla Glaze
- 1 and 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons milk
- 1 tablespoons butter melted
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- pinch of salt
- 2 cups fresh berries
- 1/2 of a plum cut into 1/2-inch thick slices
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. In a medium-sized bowl, mix together the flour, salt, and baking soda until well blended. Set aside. Mix the sugar, butter, yogurt, vanilla, honey, and lavender together in a large bowl at medium speed until smooth. Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well between each addition. Alternate between adding the flour mixture and the buttermilk to the egg mixture until the batter is just blended. Gently stir in the berries and plum pieces. Pour the batter into a well-greased 9 x 13-inch baking pan and bake for 30-40 minutes, or until the cake is golden brown on top and set. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- While the cake is cooling, you can prepare the glaze. Whisk together all of the ingredients in a medium-sized bowl until smooth. Set aside. Once the cake has cooled down and is comfortably warm, evenly drizzle the glaze back and forth over the cake until all the glaze has been used, then garnish with the fresh berries and plum slices. Serve immediately.