This is going to be a good week. Yesterday I flew out of Long Beach airport and into Portland, Oregon where I am going to be visiting my family for the next week. It is also why I wasn’t able to post yesterday, since I kind of put off packing until that morning, and then had to go through the whole airport debacle, and then got home and chatted so much I ran out of time. But now I am all settled and comfortably enjoying a lazy Sunday with my laptop in front of me and the Hillsboro clouds above. Yes, it is cloudy here right now. I am kind of disappointed, as August is one of my favorite months in Oregon because it is usually really nice and hot but still super green outside. Right now it feels like upper 60’s, which is meh. BUT, my mom said it is supposed to get up into the 80’s later on this week, which I am verrry excited about. I made these blondies a few weeks ago because I hadn’t used any of my giant bag of dried lavender in a while and was really craving blondies, so I decided to put two and two together and make these. Toffee bits happened to be on sale at the supermarket that week too, so I picked some up and tossed them in, which ended up being a wise decision. Who knew lavender and toffee went so well together? They were quite tasty, and between me and Jeremy they pretty much only lasted 2 days. Makes about 9 blondies.
Lavender Toffee Blondies
- 1 Egg
- 1 and 1/4 Cup Dark Brown Sugar
- 1 Cup plus 1 Tablespoon Flour
- 1/2 Cup Butter
- 1/2 Cup Toffee Bits
- 1 Tablespoon Dried Lavender
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/4 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/4 Teaspoon Salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. In a small saucepan heat the butter over medium heat until it is completely melted.
- Add the lavender, lower the heat, and allow the mixture to steep for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Place the sugar in a large mixing bowl and add the melted butter and lavender and mix until well blended. In a separate, medium-sized bowl, mix together all of the dry ingredients, except the toffee bits. Set it aside.
- Add the egg and vanilla extract to the sugar-butter mixture and mix well. Gradually add the flour mixture to the butter mixture, blending well between additions. Once the two are completely combined, stir in the toffee bits.
- Pour the mixture into a well-greased 8 x 8 or 6 x 6 inch square baking pan, (I used an 8 x 8 inch pan, but you can use a 6 x 6 inch one, the blondies will just be a bit thicker). If you want, you can bake yours in a fringed tart pan like I did so that the edges of some of the blondies have a fun little fringe on them. Place the pan in the oven and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the tops are golden brown.