I can’t believe another week has gone by already. Time just seems to be whizzing past these days; between work, taking care of all the pets and plants, and finishing up the living room remodel (aaaalmost done painting the trim), I’m so exhausted by the time Jeremy comes home from work that all I want to do is curl up in the cool basement and watch Netflix until I fall asleep. The intense heat Oregon is experiencing this summer is depleting my will to cook lengthy meals, lest I leave the oven on too long and heat up the house more than it already is. But ordering out due to heat-induced laziness always makes me end up feeling even more lethargic.
So, when Green Giant approached me about developing some savory recipes with their new Sautés, I was all in. It allowed me to carve out some time for Jeremy and I to cook together in the kitchen as sort of a weeknight date night, but kept the cooking process short enough that we didn’t get too hot gathered near the stove. I caramelized a bit of yellow onion in butter, then sautéed their bacon brussels sprouts in the same pan with a bit of sherry vinegar, brown sugar, and flake sea salt. Then I quickly tossed everything together with a bit of fresh thyme from the garden, and leaned my head over the pan to take it all in. Ohhhhh, the smell. And the taste was even better. The caramelized onions added a rich sweetness to the dish, and the sherry vinegar added just the right amount of tang, while the Brussels sprouts added their deep and earthy flavor to the mix, and the fresh thyme ended it all on a bright note. And the bacon…well, we all know how tasty bacon is.
Making this as a couple really helped allow us to slow down a little and enjoy cooking together again, and if you’re interested in putting together your own weeknight date night, you are in luck! The kind folks over at Green Giant want you to try their new Sautés range and have put together a giveaway for you to do so, hurray! The gift basket includes one Calphalon 12-inch non-stick fry pan, one wooden sauté paddle, one set of love birds salt-and-pepper shakers, one set of “His” and “Hers” aprons, and two “try free” coupons to try new Green Giant Sautés. To enter, use the rafflecopter giveaway below. Best of luck, everyone!
Sautéed Sherry Brussels Sprouts with Bacon, Caramelized Onions, and Fresh Thyme
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 packages Green Giant Sautés Bacon Brussels Sprouts
- 1 teaspoon sherry vinegar
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon flake sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- Melt the butter in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the onions and stir to coat in the hot butter. Allow them to cook in the pan until very lightly golden and they start smelling a bit sweet, about 30 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes. Remove them from the pan and set them aside.
- Add the olive oil to the pan and then add the frozen Brussels sprouts, taking care not to add the spice or bacon packets. Cover the pan and allow them to cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove the cover and raise the heat to medium high. Add the sherry vinegar, brown sugar, sea salt, onion powder, and black pepper and stir to coat the Brussels sprouts in the mixture. Allow them to cook until they start turning a slightly olive shade of green, about 15 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes. Add the onions and the bacon bits to the pan and continue cooking until the onions are a deep rich gold and the Brussels sprouts are a deep olive green, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat, toss with the fresh thyme, and serve.