After staying green for several weeks, all the tomatoes in my garden decided to ripen at the same time and I am now left with literal bucketfuls. I’ve been making sauce with them, drying them, and eating caprese salad non-stop, but as soon as I eat them, even more of them ripen on the vine and take their place. So, I’ve just resigned myself to incorporating tomatoes into every meal, which to be honest, I am most certainly not opposed to.
I put together this quiche to enjoy on a rare calm weeknight when neither me nor Jeremy were working, it’s perfect for two people to make together because one person can whip up the crust while the other makes the filling. If you’ve never made quiche, don’t be intimidated: It’s one of the easiest pastries you can make because you’re pretty much just mixing a lot of eggs, vegetables, cream, and cheese together and pouring it into a pie crust. Boom! Instant delicious savory pie. For the filling, I sautéed Green Giant Sautés Parmesan Garden Medley in a bit of olive oil, which left me with a delicious pan of zucchini, red bell peppers, mushrooms, yellow carrots, and roasted red onions. Then I tossed it together with some halved cherry tomatoes from the garden, eggs, creme fraiche, ricotta and spices, and transferred the filling to the crust. Sprinkled it with a little parmesan cheese, and into the oven it went!
It doesn’t take very long to bake, only about 35 minutes, and when it’s done it has the most gorgeous golden coloring on top and the crust is flaked to perfection. All the eggy, cheesy goodness cooks into a custard, and the savory flavor gets absorbed by all the vegetables as it bakes together into one delicious and comforting quiche. I am getting hungry again just remembering it…might be making it again next week, too. And if you’re ready to put together your own tasty weeknight date night quiche, the generous folks over at Green Giant want you to try their new Sautés range and have put together another giveaway for you to do so, woohoo! The gift basket includes one Calphalon 12-inch non-stick fry pan, one wooden sauté paddle, one set of love birds salt-and-pepper shakers, one set of “His” and “Hers” aprons, and two “try free” coupons to try new Green Giant Sautés. To enter, use the rafflecopter giveaway below. Best of luck, everyone!a Rafflecopter giveaway
Summer Vegetable Quiche
Summer Vegetable Filling
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 package Green Giant Sautés Parmesan Garden Medley
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 eggs whisked
- 1 cup creme fraiche or full fat sour cream
- 2/3 cups ricotta
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried ground thyme
- 1/4 lb cherry tomatoes cut in half
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 cup plus 5 tablespoons unsalted butter frozen
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup ice water
- For the crust, mix together the flour, sugar, salt, and nutmeg in a large bowl until combined. Grate the frozen butter over the bowl using the large hole setting of your grater, stirring every 15 seconds or so to coat the shards and keep them from forming a giant butter clump. Gradually add the cold water to the bowl and mix the dough together with your hands, adding water only until the dough just comes together. Roll the dough out into a 14" circle and transfer it to a 10" pie pan, trimming off the excess and forming the crust to the pan. Cover with plastic wrap and place the pan in the freezer.
- For the filling, heat the olive oil in a medium frying pan over medium heat and add the vegetable contents of the Green Giant Sautés Parmesan Garden Medley package, taking care not to add the parmesan packet and setting that aside. Add the soy sauce and black pepper and stir to coat. Sauté the vegetables until they're cooked through, have released their water, and the red onions begin looking slightly golden around the edges, about 15 to 20 minutes, stirring every 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, creme fraiche, ricotta, salt, garlic powder, oregano, and thyme until smooth. Add the vegetables and half of the cherry tomatoes and stir to combine.
- Empty the filling into the prepared crust and dot the top of the quiche with the remaining cherry tomato halves. Sprinkle the top with the parmesan from the packet and place the pan in the oven. Bake until the crust is golden, the top of the quiche turns a deep gold, and the filling is set, about 35 to 40 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 15 minutes before slicing and serving.