But I am not sharing that cake today, not yet anyway. Instead, I’m sharing something much more special. A guest post from one of my favorite bloggers around, the lovely Molly of My Name is Yeh. If you haven’t read Molly’s blog, please go there immediately and read all the posts (ALL OF THEM). She has this wonderful, fun and positive energy that comes through in her writing with leaps and bounds. Everything she makes looks gorgeous, and always sounds ridiculously delicious to boot. Say hello to Molly!
Upside Down Mini Gelato Cakes | A Guest Post from My Name Is Yeh
Upside Down Mini Gelato Cakes
- 1 1/4 c pretzel crumbs* approximately 140g
- 2 tb sugar
- 1/4 c unsalted butter melted
- 3 pints gelato any flavors
- 8 ounces dark chocolate chips
- 2 tb coconut oil
- Maraschino cherries optional
- In a food processor, grind up approximately 140g of pretzel sticks until you have fine crumbs.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the pretzel crumbs, sugar, and butter. Distribute the mixture into muffin tins and press the mixture down firmly and evenly. Place in the freezer for about 10-20 minutes to firm up.
- Let your first pint of gelato soften at room temperature for about 10 minutes. Transfer it to a bowl and stir it with a spoon or spatula until it’s the consistency of soft serve. Spread a thin layer over the crumb crusts and then freeze for 10-20 minutes. Repeat this process with the remaining pints of gelato. Once the last layer is on, freeze for a few hours or overnight.
- In a microwave safe bowl, microwave the chocolate chips with the coconut oil in 30-second increments, stirring after each, until fully melted. Let it sit for a few minutes, stirring often, until it is no longer hot.
- To remove the cakes from the tins, run the outside of the tins under warm water and then run a knife around the edges. Lift them out and then place them upside down on a plate or baking sheet. Spoon a bit of chocolate on the top and add a cherry, if desired. Keep in the freezer until ready to serve.
Inspired by Coco Cake Land’s ice cream cake